Thursday, April 18, 2013

What a week!

It has been a flurry of activity since Dev got back. Costco and Ikea runs, furniture delivery and set up, artwork going up, cupboards sorted out, not to mention Sienna crawling, Hudson starting "school", me having my first social outing, Hudson immersing himself even more into Mandarin, and all of us going to the Zoo! Whew! It's been an eventful 4 days!!

I took Hudson to art and music classes last week with the intention to see which one he preferred and enroll him. There was another class that had been mentioned - "Stepping into literacy", which I had discounted as Hudson is still a bit young for learning to read/write (it's for 3-4 yos) and it's a child-only class, meaning the parents stay in a different room. Hudson has never been ok with that, so I thought, no chance!

Imagine my surprise on Tuesday morning when I had taken him for playtime and he requested to go to the classroom instead - and stayed there alone!! He didn't even want to leave at the end - after the other students had gone, he was still sitting there as if to say, "more!!"

I think he really loved the teacher and I that he responds better to more structured, quiet classes than creative, artistic ones. He is extremely introverted, and while I thought art/music would help him come out of his shell and help him express himself, he simply retreated even more. The classroom setup, however, seems ideally suited to him. After 2 years of trying so many programs, I am beyond thrilled to find something he enjoys!! And pleasantly shocked that it's literary!

Needless to say I quickly signed up despite the fact that he is the youngest by at least a year..

On Wednesday, I sent him out with Anny to a local church that has story-time (in Chinese) in the morning. (Anny discovered this place during another outing last week.)

Although she reported that he did not understand the story and looked rather confused for most of it, he still listened intently and was very well behaved (and really enjoyed it - they were gone for like 5 hours!) I think it's wonderful because I really want him to make friends with local kids his age. And to top it off, it was free!

So Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are now officially booked....

Today was yet another big day - we ventured to the zoo for the first time! Hudson has only ever been to a zoo once in his life (poor kid) before today, so needless to say, he had an incredible time!!

Mommy was afraid of getting burned again and was covered from head to toe - and also carrying Sienna around in the heat all day... So as you can imagine, I was feeling pretty hot and tired!



Zoo Entrance










So excited about the snake!














Dying of heat, but protected against rays!






















He was too scared to sit inside












These are the plants I need in my house - they are sort of a venus fly trap.  Apparently they eat mosquitoes...!  Not sure that kid-friendly, though.


Understand each other




Hudson's favorite animal of the day




He went home and told Daddy all about the brown bear at the zoo...




Riding down on the cable car - he was quite freaked out at first


My favorite picture of H and Anny!!!



Sienna really enjoyed the ride!



"I scared"






Views








Riding the subway home

Silliness

No comments:

Post a Comment