Sunday, March 24, 2013

...and 3

Out again for the third time in as many days. Went to Miramar to order a bed for our room and have dumplings for lunch, followed by the most delicious pearl milk tea (not pictured, but this is the place www.ichatime.com)




Huds with dumpling mascot




Waiting patiently


And looking so cute today, I might add!




Silliness with Daddy




Finally - food!!  He wasted no time devouring it all.  Hoping this means his appetite is back!  (He went on a series of hunger strikes after we arrived, eating nothing but gummy bears and rice, and later, pretzel bread..)





Then we headed to A-Mart to have another go at groceries. It's a huge multi-level place with pretty much everything you could imagine. We foolishly stopped to look at refrigerators and saw so many fab options that would have suited us better at the same price point as our crappy one. Silly landlady.


I very much appreciate English signage wherever we are lucky enough to find it, but sometimes it's not particularly helpful....









Ok, that one I understand, but a dedicated aisle - seriously?


This was at the entrance - I still have no idea what it could mean.  Also, I got in trouble with the security guard for snapping this...


Another curious thing



I'm beginning to notice a theme in terms of milk-obsession.  I've never seen so many options and flavors for milk on-the-go in any other country I've visited.  And this was just in the beverage section.  The actual "real" milk section is even bigger.



Was greeted in the cereal aisle by what looked like breakfast salad.  Health passionate or not, milk in my salad bowl is a bit much.


To my surprise, there are several bright green "cerear" options to choose from.


I'm still finding the whole grocery shopping experience to be a challenging assault of the senses.

Firstly, intense artificial light blinds you and induces an instant-migraine as you walk in.  Then, someone loudly and constantly announces breaking produce news over the speaker which can be heard throughout the entire store.  Every label is unreadable and 95% of items are unrecognizable, and it's hard to know if "normal" things like sugar even exist here (we found only rock sugar or individual sugar packets today).  Coupled with having 2 kids in tow and relying on cabs and/or subway to get home just makes me want to close up the kitchen and hit up one of the zillion food options by our house.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but nearly every food item in every store we go into is processed/packaged food.  And although I am starting to notice some chunkier Taiwanese people, in such a pervasive junk food land, the vast majority of people here are tiny!



3 comments:

  1. I've never seen green cereal before! Awesome!

    Yeah, grocery shopping can be a bit tricky in Taipei. Tip: If you shop at Wellcome, there are English labels on the shelves under each product. Helped me learn to differentiate salt from sugar, figure out which milk was skim vs. whole, etc. when we first arrived! I think Carrefour may do that as well, and they have better produce and bread than most local mega-stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan! Wellcome will def be our next try!

      Delete
  2. That packing & bulb testing sign is actually what it the Chinese says it is!

    ReplyDelete