Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rice Crisis

After toiling over which rice to buy (there are literally hundreds of options), I went for a brown rice I am assuming is Japanese with no English on the packaging.

Cooking again at home tonight and decided to make a really nice rice with garlic and onion....  Got everything ready, garlicy onion beautifully fragrant, rice measured out, and was about to dump it into the pan when I noticed a BUG crawling around on my rice!!!  I brushed it off and poured the rice into my pan.  Heart sank as I looked into the newly opened bag to find atleast 10 more of the same bugs crawling around.

Even though I could detect no bugs in my pot, I was advised to abort mission and throw it out.

Grr.

And gross!!






1 comment:

  1. Those bugs are called Weevils - and they'll get your rice, flour, pasta...! The only way to kill them and prevent them from laying too many eggs is to freeze your rice overnight. But then you'll have to defrost your rice, and dry-sieve the whole pack. Not fun...

    ReplyDelete